Thursday, October 07, 2004

peeling back the curtain

Another tech rehearsal finds me wondering why I do this. It's not so much the work itself as dealing with how other people work. How things get communicated. How you get things to happen.

It all works in the end, or it least it is supposed to. Same with everything else. The saying about not wanting to see how things (sausages, policy) are actually made holds true in all worlds, i guess.

I'm happy with my piece though. The title is "watching time" with music by Don Rooke .

The idea described below is holding up. In the end it's a very slow improvised solo with real time live projection delayed and layered, so when i move 3 ghosts follow slightly behind and catch up with me when i stop. Then at the end there is a blackout and just the video returns with three images captured during the piece - but shown all at the same time. Memory compressed. Time collapsed. What's really cool is that the computer programmer can even get them to move slightly...each just for a second or two.

I don't know if i'll get my hands on some stills or footage to post, but to get the idea of the projections, you can look at Palindrome's site. I'm using the same program as the second piece under "performances", only my image is not solarized or silhouetted, just fainter than normal because of the infrared. So it's more human and pedestrian. In BMC terms i'm trying to work lymph and csf more than anything else. I don't know how much it shows, but it's my thread.

I just wish i knew more about how the computer and projections end of it actually worked, but i'm determined to get more of that over time.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home