Friday, April 15, 2005

peripheral/imaginary witness


IMG_0800
Originally uploaded by little bit1000.
Another Paris photo - very much in mind today as I heard about the hotel fire very near to where i stayed last month. In fact I had considered staying at that hotel. Noticing how even the most tenuous connections can make other things that happen seem to mean more - my almost choosing that hotel from among hundreds of cheap hotels in Paris makes the news of the fire register more somewhere in me, it's not just another disastrous headline. A peripheral kind of witnessing filtered through a memory of having been somewhere.

Reading Tim Etchell's Certain Fragments and thinking about what he says about the responsibility of witnessing, and the interplay of real and imagined histories.

Rewrote the intro to dissertation today (trying to stop calling it "thesis" like a Canadian). I think i've got it tamed, for awhile, anyway.

Tomorrow I am doing a "bodyweather" (bodywork/movement system by Min Tanaka) workshop - revisiting some old ground and undoubtedly learning something new.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just took a look at the book you linked to - interesting that it's introduced by Peggy Phelan. I read a lot of her work while I was studying in Holland and ended up working with one of her concepts as the starting point for a piece I did... connections and cross-references abound

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home