concept, context, content
Really interesting day today in Sheffield, where i participated in kind of a brainstorming/discussion day with various artists and technologists from University of Florida, Sheffield and Nottingham, with a view to a potential international collaboration over the Access Grid (think Internet) in February.
What was interesting & exciting were presentations from some local/area artists. Third Angel does performance, installation, film and new media...they devise work arounda an idea and it may have all those components. One large scale piece they did with audience interaction over the Web was Pleasant Land - the site's still up and explains it better than I could. Another piece you can check on their site is "Senseless" which was also very intriguing.
The other really exciting presentation by someone from the Mixed Reality Labs at Nottingham Trent University who worked with Blast Theory to create these great live theatre/video game works) ("Can you see me now?", "I Like Frank", "Uncle Roy All Around You"). You can go play one of them now (Oct 28-31) in Barcelona (from your desktop!).
Why was this so cool? Well, I think these artists are working with various media with depth and awareness - exploiting the best and worst aspects of each form to make their statements, and i think each piece of the overall package is better for it. They are engaging with the public in different ways - having them play along, and in some cases becoming completely implicated in the action. So each performance is unique and open to chance and individual choices and reactions, while still being very well conceived and executed.
These artists are working with technology because it makes sense, because it's instrumental, and even maybe partly the subject matter, but never letting the technology simply drive the product without any attention to concept, context or content. You don't have to ask what the point is.
It was inspiring, and kind of overwhelming, my brain bumping up against the limitless number of possibilities and not knowing quite what to do with them. But I think that's where I should be right now.
What was interesting & exciting were presentations from some local/area artists. Third Angel does performance, installation, film and new media...they devise work arounda an idea and it may have all those components. One large scale piece they did with audience interaction over the Web was Pleasant Land - the site's still up and explains it better than I could. Another piece you can check on their site is "Senseless" which was also very intriguing.
The other really exciting presentation by someone from the Mixed Reality Labs at Nottingham Trent University who worked with Blast Theory to create these great live theatre/video game works) ("Can you see me now?", "I Like Frank", "Uncle Roy All Around You"). You can go play one of them now (Oct 28-31) in Barcelona (from your desktop!).
Why was this so cool? Well, I think these artists are working with various media with depth and awareness - exploiting the best and worst aspects of each form to make their statements, and i think each piece of the overall package is better for it. They are engaging with the public in different ways - having them play along, and in some cases becoming completely implicated in the action. So each performance is unique and open to chance and individual choices and reactions, while still being very well conceived and executed.
These artists are working with technology because it makes sense, because it's instrumental, and even maybe partly the subject matter, but never letting the technology simply drive the product without any attention to concept, context or content. You don't have to ask what the point is.
It was inspiring, and kind of overwhelming, my brain bumping up against the limitless number of possibilities and not knowing quite what to do with them. But I think that's where I should be right now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home