threads
The last few days we've been doing tech workshops - a combination of computer theory plus just trying stuff out. We've been playing with getting movement to control sound, light, video in various set-ups.
I find it interesting to notice what I get as a watcher - whether or not I can read the "mapping" - i.e. what makes what happen. Does it matter? Sometimes... I know I get video easier than sound. But it also depends on the sounds - words and melody are easier to piece together than computer bleeps.
At the same time though, you don't want the art thing to simply be a demonstration of the technology - or worse, be superflous. Which is tricky, as a lot of dance is "superfluous" in this setting - if you can control the video by walking, why bother waving your arms around too???
So what you have to look for is the zone between the mysterious and the obvious....where things connect, infer, allude and clash....
I find it interesting to notice what I get as a watcher - whether or not I can read the "mapping" - i.e. what makes what happen. Does it matter? Sometimes... I know I get video easier than sound. But it also depends on the sounds - words and melody are easier to piece together than computer bleeps.
At the same time though, you don't want the art thing to simply be a demonstration of the technology - or worse, be superflous. Which is tricky, as a lot of dance is "superfluous" in this setting - if you can control the video by walking, why bother waving your arms around too???
So what you have to look for is the zone between the mysterious and the obvious....where things connect, infer, allude and clash....


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home