Sunday, January 16, 2005

tree of warning


IMG_0442
Originally uploaded by little bit1000.
I just got in from a walk around the grounds, snapping photos. It is warm and ridiculously green for January.

At home signs warn of falling ice - here it's the trees that can get you.

This tree is incredibly ancient-looking, its canopy of branches fanning out high above the grass. The sign telling people to stay away makes it seem like some kind of outcast. I feel lonely for it.

I notice lots of signs everywhere here: warnings, cautions, advisories. It seems like part of the risk-society where there is an increasing emphasis on fear and taking precautions. I suppose if i was hit by a branch it would be my fault for being outside...is it really to protect me or to save on insurance?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In America they would just cut the tree down if it posed any danger...I like this solution better -- at least you still get to see the tree. :)

--Tara

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home