Wednesday, January 12, 2005

freedom to blog

Articles in the press today about a bookstore employee fired for moaning about his work in his blog.

Really highlights the murky territory of public/private expression and how technology is messing with our ideas of public space and public knowledge. If I gripe about work to a friend over a cell phone on a bus, could I be fired if my boss overhears me? Is writing a blog any different than speaking in a public space? It's always good policy to watch what you say, but then again, when does self-policing go too far?

Wonder again about who the blog audience is. In many cases i think there are at least 3 different audiences: personal (family & friends) who read because they know the blogger; professional-interested people who read because the blog frequently covers a topic of interest; and random/anonymous people who trip over the blog or maybe find it while looking for something else. I like to think I'm writing to the first group, and sometimes the second, as I know some of them have found me. As for the third, well, who knows?

Hope you all have a good day...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an article a couple years ago about the same thing... people just have to be more careful i suppose. I've often felt like gripeing about my personal life over my blog - but i limit it to things that cant offend or get me into trouble - because that would just be another stress i would just care to illiminate. :)

t

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home