controlled accidents
I went back to Leeds today for a 5 hour ballet-based contemporary workshop with Belgian choreographer Jan de Schynkel. It was fun. A lovely, generous workshop. I will be very very sore tomorrow, but I'm so pleasantly surprised that I can do this stuff at all that it's worth it. Funny, in a way, to be going back to technique - I feel like it's "refreshing" some of my vocabulary in a way...The work was technical but fluid, lots of body and extreme torque.
He said he never improvises - his work requires something more precise. Yet when talking about he searches for in his work, he spoke of looking for the humanity of the body in performance, which he said came through the most in the unexpected moments, the "controlled accidents" that sometimes arise.
Personally, I think this is a good definition of improvisation: a good improviser is just moving from one controlled accident to another...it can be just as precise as anything else. Or imprecise.
No matter - there are all kinds of ways of getting to that "human" place in performance - which is I think a common goal of many artists (something else to think about).
I also enjoyed the opportunity to also see more of Leeds. And the Yorkshire Dance facilities are a dream: 3 floors - huge waiting and reception area, theatre space, 3 studios accessible by stairs and lift(!),roomy changing facilities with showers and lockers & security features. Incroyable.
I am now going to stand in my shower and pretend it's a bath.
He said he never improvises - his work requires something more precise. Yet when talking about he searches for in his work, he spoke of looking for the humanity of the body in performance, which he said came through the most in the unexpected moments, the "controlled accidents" that sometimes arise.
Personally, I think this is a good definition of improvisation: a good improviser is just moving from one controlled accident to another...it can be just as precise as anything else. Or imprecise.
No matter - there are all kinds of ways of getting to that "human" place in performance - which is I think a common goal of many artists (something else to think about).
I also enjoyed the opportunity to also see more of Leeds. And the Yorkshire Dance facilities are a dream: 3 floors - huge waiting and reception area, theatre space, 3 studios accessible by stairs and lift(!),roomy changing facilities with showers and lockers & security features. Incroyable.
I am now going to stand in my shower and pretend it's a bath.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home